Complaints Procedure

27 Aug, 2015

We always try to provide the best service possible but there may be times when you feel this has not happened. If you have any complaint about the service that you have received from the Doctors or staff working for this practice, then you are entitled to ask for an explanation. We operate an informal, in-house complaints procedure. This procedure does not deal with matters of legal responsibility or compensation. 

In some cases the in-house procedure is not an appropriate form of investigation, in which case you will be referred to the appropriate authority. 

How to complain 

We hope that most problems can be sorted out easily and quickly, preferably at the time they arise and with the person concerned. If your problem cannot be sorted out in this way and you wish to make a complaint, please let us know as soon as possible as this will enable us to establish what happened more easily.  

The NHS time limits for when it is reasonable to expect complaints to be made are:

Within 6 months of the event or within 6 months of the date of discovering the problem, provided that is within 12 months of the incident.

The practice can, however, decide to investigate a complaint when it is made a long time after the event where this seems practical and there is reasonable justification. 

Your complaint should be addressed to the Practice Manager who will ensure that it is investigated thoroughly and within the timeframe mandated by the NHS Complaints procedure. You will receive a letter acknowledging receipt of the complaint within 2 working days and we aim to report back to you within 20 working days although. If more time is required you will be informed why we require more time. This procedure does not affect your right to make a formal complaint to the Primary care Trust if you wish. Nor does it affect your right to seek compensation in law.

Complaining on behalf of someone else 

We ensure strict adherence to the rule of medical confidentiality. If you are complaining on behalf of someone else, we will need to have their written permission for you to do so. Neither can we provide confidential information without the appropriate authority to do so. 

Complaining to the local Health Board 

If you would rather not complain direct to the practice or are dissatisfied with our response, you can write to the Local Health Board as follows: 

Cardiff and Vale University Local Health Board HQ
Whitchurch Hospital
Park Road
CF14 7XB

Alternatively for more information the NHS Complaints leaflet can be downloaded here. 

Additional News Items

Flu Clinics 2017/18

24 Sep, 2017

Health Inspectorate Wales

15 May, 2017

My Health On-Line

29 Jun, 2016